A beginner’s guide to group exercise…
You don’t have to feel nervous, apprehensive, or worried!
You’ve finally plucked up the courage to take part in a group exercise class, you’re starting to feel a little apprehensive and nervous. But don’t worry, it’s completely natural to feel all these emotions on your first visit to a group fitness class. Anything that’s new or foreign can feel strange, especially when it comes to health and fitness because it’s meant to feel like a challenge.
The only challenge you should have during a class is ‘you vs you’ and this is the most satisfying feeling, when you prove the inner voices wrong, telling you to quit, and you keep going!
So, why should you participate in a group exercise class?
Not only are you getting the health benefits from the classes but you also meet a great bunch of people who love a good catch up! There is a wide range of classes on our timetable which are taught by our friendly instructors.
The atmosphere created by our hard working members will keep you motivated and engaged to push yourself to the limit, to achieve the most out of the class.
What classes are most suitable for you?
We have a class for everyone, to suit everyone’s goals and needs, from dancing the hour away with Zumba or Strut, to a more structured class where reps and sets become the focus point!
What are reps and sets?
Rep (repetition) is one complete motion of an exercise.
Set is a group of consecutive repetitions.
For example, you can say “I did two sets of ten reps on the shoulder press”
Here are a few class benefits for our most popular classes:
HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training, which is an exercise strategy that incorporates short periods of intense aerobic exercise with less intense rest periods. HIIT training is incorporated in two of our most popular classes – Fusion and Strong. We also have Pop-Up HIIT classes that are exclusive for our Members and are put up weekly on Gym Sync.
Current knowledge on HIIT training has demonstrated that it:
- Boosts athletic performance
- Improves our health
But, did you know this?
- Not only do you burn a lot of calories, but during HIIT training your body’s recovery mechanism goes into overload. The benefits of this means that you’ll burn more calories in the 24 hours AFTER your training
- VO2 max* responses to HIIT training suggests that there is a chance of 15% improvements in your VO2 max when participating in HIIT training. The benefits of this to your body can consume and utilise a greater amount of oxygen, allowing longer exercise durations
- The increase of Mitochondria during HIIT training can better your performance by having more availavle energy sources. This means your muscles can perform a greater work rate for a longer duration
*VO2 Max is the measurement of the maximum amount of oxygen you can utilize during intense / minimal exercise.
Dance is a popular type of fitness here at Palms, from strutting your stuff in Strut, to a big group party in Zumba. Dance fitness is definitely one to enjoy, but it still has a wide range of physical and mental benefits including:
- Improved condition of your heart and lungs
- Increased muscular strength, endurance and motor fitness
- Increased aerobic fitness
- Improved muscle tone and strength
- Stronger bones and reduced risk of osteoporosis and other medical conditions
So, don’t be afraid to try something new, pick the class you like the sound of most and give it a go – the benefits will definitely be worth it!
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to come and see one of our Fitness Instructors here in Palms, we’re happy to help!
I hope to see you soon!