Exercise of the Month: Gecko Press Up
This month’s exercise of the month is a favourite of mine, and one that I use often in my weekly Boot-camp class. It’s a challenging exercise, and a great variation of a traditional press up.
As well as exercising the usual muscles in a press up, such as your chest, back and the back of your arms, this will additionally the muscles in and around your stomach.
Trainer Tip: Posture is key in this exercise! It’s tempting to lift your bum into the air. Do the exercise side on to a mirror so that you can make sure your body stays in a straight line all the way from your head to your feet.
How to do the exercise:
- Start in the familiar full plank position with extended arms. Place your hands a little farther apart than your shoulders, and keep your feet together, with straight legs.
- Brace your core! Now take the weight forward over the shoulders, and lower yourself toward the ground in a press up position, bending the elbows. Check, are you still in a straight line?
- Lift the right foot, and bring the knee forward until it almost touches the elbow.
- As you push yourself back up into the plank take that foot back to its starting position.
- Re-align yourself. Make sure those hips are still in line with each other, and the rest of your body. Now we are going to repeat the exercise, but with the left foot. This time let’s make it one smooth movement, bringing the foot in AS you lower your body to the press up position.
- Push up back into the plank position. Remember to exhale your breath as you push up.
- Continue repeating the exercise on alternate sides.
You can also check out a great YouTube example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63G6qusHrxI
This press up variation is great because when you lift your leg forward it actually shifts your weight, meaning your muscles have to work harder to re-adjust to the new position. You’ll actually strengthen your muscles faster doing this!
Like it? For more great exercises like this one, check out my weekly Boot-camp Class. It’s tough, but a great way to start your weekend, and guaranteed to give you results!
Every Saturday @ 8.15am
Meet at the Palms Reception
FREE for Full Members
Non-members and Daytime Members welcome, just £5 per class
I hope to see you there!