Halloween is just around the corner and all the sweet treats may tempt you to stray from your fitness and healthy eating routine. However fear not, we have a few healthier options for you to try instead…
Did you know that quality dark chocolate is made from the seed of a cocoa tree which makes it one of the best antioxidants out there? In other words, dark chocolate is a good ‘good for your heart’ food. Obviously with almost 600 calories it should only be eaten in moderation, but we have a deliciously dark twist on traditional candied apples for you to try…
What you need:
Lollipop sticks / skewer
1. Place your baking paper on a tray.
2. Melt a bar of dark chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of boiling water, stirring regularly.
3. Once it’s melted remove from the heat and cool a little so you don’t burn yourself on the next step.
4. Put a skewer or lollipop stick through the core of the apple, then dip the apple into the melted chocolate.
5. Place the apple straight onto the baking paper and keep going until you’ve done as many as you like.
6. Place them in the fridge until the chocolate has set.
Another powerful antioxidant is vitamin C and what’s a better known source of vitamin C than oranges? These aren’t a treat as such, but they are much more fun than normal looking oranges. They’re sure to add some freshness among all of the other toxic treats around Halloween.
1 black edible marker pen
It’s time to get creative! Draw your scariest faces on the oranges to make them into Jack O’ Lanterns – this is great for you and the children in your family to do together.
Not only are these boo-nanas under 100 calories and incredibly tasty, but the recipe is spookilty short and sweet!
Natural white chocolate
Lollipop sticks / skewer
1. Melt your white chocolate in a glass bowl over a simmering bowl of hot water and keep stirring until it melts, ensuring it doesn’t over heat.
2. Once melted remove from the heat and leave to cool.
3. Put your coconut shavings in a separate bowl next to your melted chocolate bowl – you may want to put them on a piece of clingfilm or baking paper, as this can get messy!
4. Then choose to skewer or use your hands to dunk your bananas into the white chocolate, followed by the coconut shavings.
5. Add your raisins to create ghoulish eyes and mouths, stand them up on a plate (if you can get them to balance!).
6. Put them in the fridge to set. Alternatively, you can put them in the freezer for a more chilled treat.
We chose this recipe because everyone loves strawberries dipped in chocolate- it’s delicious! A hair-raising, appetising and slightly healthier option than just eating a bar of chocolate…
1. Melt your white chocolate in a glass bowl over a simmering pan of hot water, keep mixing to ensure it doesn’t overheat.
2. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
3. Once it’s cool enough for you to touch, dip your strawberries in, add chocolate chips to create a face!
4. Put in the fridge to cool.
Without realising, these Halloween options have suppressed your candy craving and you’ve had 4 out of your 5 a day. Plus, your neighbours are sure to be saying TREAT over TRICK when knocking at your door…