Twisting the year away!
Seated oblique twists with a medicine ball, what’s not to love?
Benefits of the Oblique Twist include:
– Strengthening the core muscles is important to your health and fitness.
– This core strengthening protects your spine, promotes good posture and helps with balance.
– It’s results can also benefit when performing sports such as tennis, swimming, baseball, hockey, golf, lacrosse and boxing
How do I do an Oblique Twist successfully?
- Slowly twist your torso to your left and right holding the medicine ball loosely. Make sure to breathe throughout rotations, keeping the movement smooth and controlled.
- Repeat this for the desired number of reps.
You can even do it with a friend…
Not only does it target rectus abdoninis, it also initiates the external and internal obliques. Adding a weight, medicine ball or stability ball into the exercise adds tension to the core muscles, really giving them a workout. It goes without saying that the heavier the weight the harder the oblique twist becomes. However the Russian twist should not be attempted by anyone suffering from pre-existing back or spinal problems as these may be aggravated.
Go on, give it a try!